Unpacking™ is 540WMain’s
newest discussion series.
Unpacking™ is a series of informal and thought provoking discussions (book chats) based around socially conscious books that are must reads for anyone doing or interested in social and race activism work.
These chats are held at various community locations around the city of Rochester and are open to black, latino, and other people of color as well as white accomplices and allies.
Unpacking discussions are best suited for those who are 16+
Do I need to be a person of color to attend an unpacking session?
Unpacking™ book chats are open to black, latino, and other people of color as well as white accomplices and allies.
Do I need to read the entire book before attending an Unpacking™ book chat?
No. You can join a discussion no matter where you are in the book but you should atleast be familiar enough to add to the discussion
Can I attend more than one session based around the same book?
Absolutely! We encourage members to come back to more than one session. Books discussed are highly complex and can take multiple sessions to unpack.
Can I bring a friend or partner?
Yes! We encourage friends, neighbors, as many folks as possible.
Do I have to be a social activist to attend a session?
No. Anyone interested in racial and/or social justice can attend a book chat..
Can I suggest a book for a future session?
Yes! Please submit a book idea using the webform below
How do I register for an Unpacking™ session?
Please register at firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to donate to 540WMain
Unpacking™ Book Discussion Current Texts
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Education by Monique W. Harris
- Evicted: Poverty & Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
- White Fragility Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome by Dr. Joy DeGruy
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- On the Other Side of Freedom: A Case for Hope by DeRay Mckesson
- Race Manners: Navigating the Minefield Between Black & White Americans by Bruce Jacobs
Winter Unpacking™ Dates & Locations
Monday January 28 // 540WMain // 6:30-8:30 PM
Waking Up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debbie Irving