We are pleased to announce 540, Inc’s first annual #speakoutnow Campaign
Only two weeks into 2019 and recent public and media events have created much social media and public debate around issues of systemic racism, intersectionality, intent, impact, accountability, forgiveness, and more. As a source of digital and in person content around social justice topics; it is 540, Inc’s mission to create content and information that challenges white supremacy culture and speak out against explicit and implicit instances of injustice both locally in Rochester and nationwide. Conversations and blog posts lead by 540’s founder Calvin Eaton and others have lead to the curation of #speakoutnow: A 540, Inc Campaign Against Injustice
What is #speakoutnow: A 540, Inc Campaign Against Injustice?
#speakoutnow is a public pledge campaign against social, racial, and other injustices directed towards marginalized identifies. We challenge community members and 540Supporters to complete our online pledge and make a personal commitment to speak out every single time you witness or personally experience injustice. Speak out in person. Speak out via letter. Speak out on social media. No matter what method you use; speak out! After you speak out. Write us a letter, note, or essay detailing your experience. You can also detail your experience through art and illustrations, poetry, or other creative methods that we can showcase and hang in our art gallery; 540Gallery. We will showcase your work during the month of September. We will also hold a Opening Reception showcasing the letters, essays, and curated works of art that showcase everyone that participated in the #speakoutnow campaign.
How long is the campaign?
This campaign will run from January 17-August 1, 2019 and culminate with an Art Show and Opening Reception at 540WMain HQ in September.
How do I participate in the campaign?
- Take the petition | https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/speakoutnow
- 540westmain.org/speak | Share this url to friends, family, and others urging them to speak out
- twitter.com/540WMain | Tweet about your experience using #speakoutnow
- Message us on Facebook | www.facebook.com/540WMain
- instagram.com/540WMain | Tag us on instagram
- firstname.lastname@example.org | email us your experience, letter, or essay to include in the public show
Take the pledge online here | No matter who you are or where you are when you see injustice or experience it; call it out. If the situation doesn’t lend itself to a in person confrontation then write a letter. Call the owner or call corporate. Take to social media.
Whatever method you choose make sure you hold perpetrators of injustice intentional or not; accountable. This is the only way we can begin to change the culture of white supremacy. Everyone, everywhere, has to speak out every single time.
When you speak out in 2019 share on social media and use hashtag #speakoutnow
Are you questioning your ability to call out and speak out about injustice? Get in touch! Submit your essay or letter of how you #speakoutnow to be included in the show.
- More Than One Cockroach Guest Blog by Chris Thompson
- What Is White Supremacy Culture by Calvin Eaton
- Impact Matters More Than Intent Guest Blog by Sam Waters
- An Open Letter to St. John Fisher President Gerard J. Rooney
- An Open Letter to Arena’s